Two years ago, the Institute of European Studies established a special fund to support the UC Berkeley Library in acquiring materials in or about less commonly taught European languages (LCTLs). Students, both undergraduate and graduate, lecturers and faculty who wish to use library materials (books, ebooks, graphic novels, dissertations, DVDs, etc.) in a European LCTL and published in Europe that are currently not available on the Berkeley campus, can fill out the Library Recommendation Form and mention “IES LCTL Support” in the Comments section.
This support only applies to LCTLs that are still spoken today in Western, Northern, or Southern Europe (i.e. all European languages with the exception of German, French, Italian and Spanish); no support will be given for classical or extinct languages nor for Slavic and other Eastern European languages supported by the Institute of Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies.
A few examples of titles acquired last year include:
- Bestiari lemosin by Marcela Delpastre
- Brussel schrijven / Écrire Bruxelles by Daniel Acke; Elisabeth Bekers
- Claustre by Isabel Garcia i Canet
- D’ací i d’allà: el primer magazine català d’estil europeu [facsimilie edition]
- Decadência: Poemas by Judith Teixeira
- The former Portuguese Creole of Batavia and Tugu (Indonesia) by Philippe Maurer
- Joden in Suriname: 400 jaar Surinaams Jodendom: aankomst, glorietijd, neergang by Ben Ipenburg
- De kunst is mijn slagveld: brieven 1993-2001 by Nanne Tepper; samengesteld en ingeleid door Nick ter Wal
- Minnesota og støvet by Kjartan Hjulstad
- Mykēnaïkē Arkadia: archaiologikē kai topographikē theōrēsē = Mycenaean Arcadia : an archaeological and topographical approach by Elenē Salabura
- El retorn de l’hongarès by Anna Moner
- Symvolē stē meletē tōn leitourgiōn tēs dikastikēs apophasēs stēn archaia Hellada = Beitrag zum Studium der Funktionen des gerichtlichen Urteils im antiken Griechenland by Kalliopē K. Papakōnstantinou.
- Ta archaia theatra tēs Kyprou by Anthē Antōniadou
- Verb movement and clause structure in Old Romanian by Virginia Hill and Gabriela Alboiu
- Verzamelde gedichten by Erik Menkveld